At world's end?

Written by Harsh Jegadeesan on 10:49 AM

Today, September 10, 2008 is a historic day for mankind as we try to recreate Big-Bang, the theory which explains the beginning of our universe. Our quest to understand the initial conditions of the universe as it was, close to 14 billion years ago will start at 7.30 GMT today in CERN. By doing so, we hope to answer elusive questions on mass, gravity and the theoritical higgs bosons - the "God Particle".


Scientists would attempt to re-create big-bang using a Large Hadron Collider (LHC) - the world's largest particle accelarator powered by nuclear fusion. Through this momentous and biggest human experiment, scientist aim to validate the Standard Model, the model of particle physics which explains fundamental interactions among elementary particles that make up all matter. However, there is a section of dooms sayers who believe that this experiment would cause minute "unstable" black holes which would cause eathquakes, tsunamis and eventually engulf the whole world. Some people are quoting a Nostradamus predication that the world would end due to a disaster caused by the LHC today.





Does that mean we are at the world's end? I really don't know. But I am scared and excited at the same time, a mixed feeling running through my veins! As any normal human being, I live my every day assuming perpetualty of life till one day I find I would live no more. My list of "to-dos" >> "already done". If I am at world's end, I would wait for the "Noah's Ark" - a space shuttle in its 21st century avtar to go to the 'utopian world'. An inclusive world where there's no evil, no killing over one's faith, no poverty and no hunger, where I can start all over with my unfinished business. But for the moment, I am waiting to watch the spectacle on television today evening!

  1. 0 comments: Responses to “ At world's end? ”